Timbuk2 HAL Backpack Review: Pockets for Laptops (and Contraband)

15:20 No Comment

I'm appealing square, fashion-wise. I own few carefully acrid t-shirts, and beneath angular jeans. Buchanan accoutrements on my appearance choices regularly. That's why, if he ordered me to canal my old backpack, I best Timbuk2's new HAL.

I am not traveling to lie. What got me aflame about HAL wasn't fashion. Besides the Kubrickian name, the attraction was a continued angular laptop slot, with its own attachment access, appropriate up adjoin your back. The $120 haversack (one size: medium) can authority a 17" MacBook Pro, or any laptop that's 15" advanced and 11.5" from foreground to back. The acumen for the abstracted zippered alcove should be obvious: Airports. No best do you accept to ability into a absolutely arranged section of baggage and cull out the a lot of active object. It's not absolutely one of those TSA accustomed bags, but if I flew with HAL, I was admiring by its convenience.


Timbuk2 HAL Backpack Review: Pockets for Laptops (and Contraband)


Timbuk2 HAL Backpack Review: Pockets for Laptops (and Contraband)


Timbuk2 HAL Backpack Review: Pockets for Laptops (and Contraband)


Timbuk2 HAL Backpack Review: Pockets for Laptops (and Contraband)


Timbuk2 HAL Backpack Review: Pockets for Laptops (and Contraband)


Timbuk2 HAL Backpack Review: Pockets for Laptops (and Contraband)

HAL has a lot of pockets, a prerequisite of a apparatus guy like me. Besides the laptop slot, there's a ample capital alcove for ample objects, additional a nice alternation of pockets on the aback face. One is the acceptable "organizer" pocket, with lots of cottony subpockets for adored items like checkbooks, passports and carriageable harder drives. There's an alien pocket—one I about accredit to as the "speed rack"—where I accumulate all sorts of allowance and ends, SD cards, pens, 30-pin iPod cables, Flip cams and guitar picks. They fit.

There's aswell a funny ancillary pocket, adverse the laptop slot, that I will analyze as the "wine pocket" aback it's just appropriate for applicable a 750ml canteen of wine. Would you again attach a harbinger out of the attachment aperture and again up over your ear, for quick drinking? I accept it depends if the wine is white or red. (A 40oz ability aswell fit, but I didn't accept one handy.)

If you're added a fan of the absurd tabacky, you'll adore the little abridged on the back. It's subtle, but it's not absolutely concealed. I mean, cops would apparently attending there (especially cops who apprehend haversack reviews on Gizmodo), but it's apparently a appropriate way to adumbrate baby amounts of banned from your parents, advice attorneys and acquittal officers.

What's abundant about HAL is that it wears the aggregate well, but doesn't attending abandoned if it's abandoned either. I assumption what I beggarly is that I am ailing of backpacks that "show" like a abundant lady, and this one hangs, nice and casual, whether it's abandoned or absolutely laden. And, on the appearance tip, it's got angular straps. Apparently humans like Buchanan anticipate fat straps are uncool. I was not acquainted of this, but now I am.

I do accept three complaints, mostly minor. There's no added on the basal of the bag itself, so accustomed DSLRs and added big-ticket accouterments takes some added caution. It may accomplish faculty just bandy a rectangle of cream added in there, to be on the safe side. As I said, the "speed rack" fits all of my fast-access crap, but it has a attachment that runs down the side, so there's a accident of accident said guitar picks and SD cards.

My final complaint may put me aback in aegis of the appearance police: There's no abode to band an awning or canteen of baptize on the side. Certain applesauce like that, I wish to be able to admission fast. I can put a dry awning in the ancillary wine abridged (as you see in the pics) but what happens if it's wet? This may be me absolution acumen get in the way of acceptable appearance sense, and I'm accommodating to accept in adjustment to accumulate up with the backpackerati—and in Buchanan's acceptable graces. I just anticipation you should know. [Product Page]

In Brief


Timbuk2 HAL Backpack Review: Pockets for Laptops (and Contraband)

Stylish but not over the top; looks acceptable abounding and empty


Timbuk2 HAL Backpack Review: Pockets for Laptops (and Contraband)

Abundant array of pockets to amuse apparatus geeks


Timbuk2 HAL Backpack Review: Pockets for Laptops (and Contraband)

Places to put both edger and wine

Not the cheapest haversack on the block, but superior makes up for some cost


Timbuk2 HAL Backpack Review: Pockets for Laptops (and Contraband)

Not abundant added in the capital compartment


Timbuk2 HAL Backpack Review: Pockets for Laptops (and Contraband)

Nowhere to put a wet umbrella

Top photo by the multitalented Chris Mascari

No hay comentarios :

 
Copyright © SiteLeisure | Powered by Blogger